We are in the works of a little decorating around our house. I decided I needed a little ombre pillow for my room.
This was probably one of the easiest projects I have done in a long time.
Check out how I did it.
I picked up some Rit dye at the craft store and grabbed my trusty big pot. My pillow case was made from a bright white Kona cotton.
Following the instructions on the package, I prepared my dye bath. Pre-soak your fabric and dunk it.
1. I dunked the entire pillow case for about 30 seconds to a minute.
2. Pull fabric out and ring out the excess liquid.
3. I rolled up about 1/3 of my pillowcase and dunked the bottom 2/3 for five to six minutes.
4. Pull fabric out and ring out the excess liquid.
5. I draped the top half of the fabric over the side of the pot, and left the bottom third sitting in the dye for about 30 minutes. Every so often I would swish it around.
6. When you are finished coloring the fabric, rinse it in cold water until it runs clear. I like to wash and dry my fabric next. Then you should be ready to use it.
I was so so eager to do this, I didn't look around for gloves. It has been several days and my finger tips still have a blue hue. You might want to wear gloves.
My ombre pillow has a place on honor on the bench in our bay window.
I think this would be a really cool technique to use on coloring some drapes.
Go visit this great ombre tutorial on Cotton and Curls for more step by step photos.