I wanted to recreate that lei for my niece who was baptized last weekend. This is a project that can be made anytime of year because you don't need flowers. Find some folding helpers and you will be making mile long garlands of these cute stars.
Colored paper. I used 25lb weight paper in some bright colors.
This origmai tutorial to learn how to fold the stars.
1. Cut your paper into half inch strips lenght wise.
2. Follow the folding instructions and go crazy. Cut, cut, cut. Fold, fold, fold.
3. Take a break to ease any hand cramping.
5. When you have finished folding all of your origami lucky stars, thread your needle with the dental floss. Then clamp the clothes pin at the other end of the floss.
6. Place your paper star onto the needle through the center of two points. It will come out through the top point. Continue to string your stars until you get the lenght of lei you would like. Forty stars makes a cute size kid lei.
7. Tie your two ends together and add some pizzaz with a little curling ribbon, or not.
I think these stars would make a really cute garland. There are easy enough to make, I even made a bunch in the dark while I was watching a movie. Enlist some friends and go to work.